Tuesday 14 October 2014

"Just don't give up on trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

Oct 6, 2014

Two weeks after my last chemo, and two days after my 36th birthday I completed my first 5k. I didn't shatter any records. I wasn't first. I wasn't last.

And I wasn't alone.

In this year's CIBC Run For The Cure I had 2 teams run in my name. My Inner Ninjas ran for me in Ottawa comprised of my family from back east, led by my cousin Jay and his wife Dar. Cindo's Rack Attack ran & walked with me in Calgary, comprised of friends and family (including my hubby Phil), led by my fearless (and organised) sis in law, Andrea. 

It meant the world to me.

The day started early - it was still dark out when my Calgary team met up! Luckily Andrea had her SUV all "pinked" out with balloons, writing and streamers. Most of the team met at her vehicle in a parking lot close to the mall (where the event was being held). Man was it cold!! People were still arriving at the mall when we got there. 

As a bit of a "surprise" my brother in law, Mike, (Andrea's husband) got me a pink shirt when he went to pick up the team's white shirts a few weeks before The Run. I was touched that he asked for one for me and that they decided to surprise me with it a few days before. 

I was so happy to be there with my pink shirt. Pink shirts are for survivors. I'm by no means done fighting - I still likely have canser in me - but I think you become a survivor the moment you get diagnosed. No matter what stage you are at - you gotta fight, and fight as hard as you can. Some are lucky and get to hear the words " you are canser free". Some are not so lucky and have to hear the words "it's come back". But whether you' re canser free or have to live with it for the rest of your life, I think we are all survivors. It's a way of life, not a label, for me. 

It felt great to be at The Run amongst a team of people who were there for me. They all had different reasons, but by joining my team I was one of those reasons. I will be forever thankful for every single one of them (on both teams). For me, it was an act of love.  And I love each of them in return. Being my first Run (of many!!)  made it even more special. (Andrea & Dar - I hope you signed up for the long haul for yearly team Runs!!)

I was so happy to also be there with my new sisterhood I've been introduced to - those in the fight with me. The other pink shirts. I was overjoyed to run into Janis who I met at Wellspring right when I first started going there. She is an amazing woman. She has a huge heart and along with all the same treatments as me also had to get a double mastectomy. She also had reconstruction (almost a year ago!) and is just coming up on her 4 years clear! She's awesome and I am lucky to have her in my life. 

I got lots of encouraging nods & smiles from the other pink shirts. They've been where I am. It was very inspiring. I felt so comfortable amongst these "strangers" who I've come to see as "friends I haven't met yet". 

As if I wasn't inspired enough, who do we see but Mayor Nenshi?!! I was grinning from ear to ear. He is one of my personal hero's after the way he worked the floods last summer. Best part was I got to get some pics with him and got to talk to him!! I was flying high and The Run hadn't even started yet!

They had a Zumba type warm up and once our whole team was assembled, we divided up as the runners headed to the start line while the walkers waited till it was their turn. Including our parents who had to wrangle their grand kids...

And then they counted down from 10 and we were off!! It was very exciting! And the people!! They were everywhere! After a while I had to walk to catch my breath. To my surprise, Phil (this was also his first 5k), Erin, Bobbi, Liz, Nicki, Cam and Dennis (2 of my One Aimers!!) all walked with me. When I started off again, it was not alone, but with these 7  teammates. They paced themselves the whole 5k with me! Some of them hate to run ( like me!) but choose to run  with me. Some could do the 5k in their sleep, but also choose to pace themselves with me. As I was looking at them in amazement during one of my walking brakes, I was touched to tears. Not only did I have 2 teams who were walking and running for me. I had this small group running with me. Our parents walked with the kids in tow...not an easy feat. I will never forget my 1st 5k because of all of them. 

As we neared the finish line, we all crossed, me and Phil a bit ahead of the pack, and I broke down in tears. I was so proud of every team member in that moment and glad I was able to complete the run after chemo - even if it took me 46 minutes! It just made me more determined to beat that time next year!!

We watched some more of the team cross the finish line (including some of the younger teammates who walked or ran the whole 5k!!) then headed over to listen to the awards etc. That's when I was pulled into the survivor tent and had my feet massaged!! I was heaven and I was treated cause I had a pink shirt! 

Once I finally joined back up with the rest of the team, the stage called out asking all pink shirts to go to the front of the stage. While there they asked me and 2 other survivors would go onstage and roll out the total amount raised in Calgary for The Run. Of course I said yes! My first Run and already up on stage! I guess drama follows me lol. 1.28 million dollars is what was raised in Calgary!! 

When I got off the stage I was talking to some of the survivors and a lady from the Dragon boat Team (The Sistership) was trying to recruit me to their team! Like their dragon boat team!! So I'm going to their info session in January...I'm sounding more and more like my crazy One Aimers...

They got all the survivors to go to the front of the stage to blow bubbles to honour those we have lost and those who are surviving...

While standing amongst all these women who have fought or are fighting breast canser I felt completely at ease. I didn't know any of them - never met them before - but was talking and laughing with them like we were old friends. It's like an instant companionship - and it's one of the things I'm so very thankful for. This journey has introduced me to people I would not otherwise have met. And my life is richer because of it. 

As we got ready to leave, a sign caught Phil's eye that said "Team Super Judit". I walked up to the lady and asked "Judit, as in under 30, blond hair and has a blog Judit?" She pointed to my friend who reached out to me on my blog who is also in Calgary and living with Stage 4 breast canser. We had only been in touch via email so I was so happy to see her in person! Of course I hugged her and we chatted for a few minutes before I had to go. I couldn't have ended the event any better if I tried. 

Afterwards about half the team headed to Andrea's for a delicious, and healthy brunch. Which included mimosas - really what's a celebration without them?!

It was a fantastic, memorable day. I felt so very loved and so very fortunate. "Thankful" doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for both teams...

I put together a slildeshow which I think captures the feeling of the day....

I have no copyrights to the songs I used in it, and I hope it plays properly (please leave a comment if it does not!)









3 comments:

  1. Love the slideshow and seeing that support! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog (as always) Cindy! $1.2million raised...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you came to the front of the stage and that you agreed to come up on stage by volunteering like you did…..LOL…I am very glad we met.
    Diane Martin

    ReplyDelete