Friday 3 October 2014

“With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” - William Shakespeare

Oct 3, 2014

Today is my 36th Birthday.

When I was younger I was always excited for my birthday. I always celebrated it with enthusiasm. I was like a kid at Christmas. After my 30th, they passed by a little quieter. With 2 young kids I was just too tired to do anything crazy or requiring much energy.

This year is different. When I got diagnosed in March, I wondered if I would be around to see my 36th birthday. After all, my Dad was diagnosed at 35 and never got to see his. 

So being able to celebrate 36 is very special to me. It represents a distinct difference between my journey and my Dad's journey. Within 6 months of his diagnosis, he passed away. Within 6 months of mine I barely have any canser left. Possibly none.

My father in law Randy put it best: "You know, aside from the initial really bad news of the canser diagnosis, we've had nothing but positive news since." I never thought about it that way, but it's true.

Given that it's 2 weeks past chemo and my immune system is still low, I can't go big tonight with a big party. Also, the Run is on Sunday, and given I'm not a 'runner' I'm trying to conserve my energy for run day lol. So it's dinner with my family and parents at...East Side Mario's lol. But they have beer! (hopefully Guinness but if not we have some at home!) and it's kid friendly. Saturday my in laws will all be over for supper and more birthday celebrations.

I still intend on having a big party - it'll just be a joint B-day/End of Chemo Party which we are having on the 18th. My immune system should be back to normal (or close to) and it's the weekend before my surgery.

As for tonight, I will be thinking of my Dad and celebrate 36 for the both of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment