Thursday 7 May 2015

And so it begins

April 10, 2015



We bought road bikes!!! 

Beautiful, shiny, new road bikes that make me smile just looking at them!!

Although it wasn't our intention to buy new bikes...just to get road bikes of some sort so we'd have a better chance of training for, and completing , The Ride To Conquer canser. The One Aim training rides have started already....

Phil had been eyeing Kijiji the last 3 weeks, which is where we kinda thought we'd end up buying them from. And then we walked into Pedalhead.....

Sigh.

We're investing in our health though right??? I don't know who was smiling more when we left - us, or Alan the salesman (who also is co-owner and awesome) lol. When we first got there we took our 1st ever road bike for a spin near the store to see what we thought - and I was converted from mountain bikes forever. Riding in the Canyon Meadows parking lot, all I could think was "where can I go to go fast??" It was tiny, light and fit me like a glove. I was in love.

I had to get that bike.

We tried another brand but it wasn't the same. After an hour of talking to him (and texting Nigel to make sure we weren't completely off our rocker...yes I see the mistake now...), we told him we'd be back to get them the next day. We wanted to sleep on it. But I knew.

It was as good as mine.

Sitting in that saddle was pure joy. Really! Maybe chemo really did affect my brain. It's like something just clicked. That test drive awoke something I didn't even know was there. Cycling?? Me??

This is crazy!

But I know better than to run from - or question - that feeling. So it's Cindo the Cyclist now I guess! If it's possible Phil was as excited, if not more so, about his bike! So at least it's not just me...

Phil came home early from work the next day and we picked up our gorgeous new rides. We had no gear, except for the helmet and gloves, but we unloaded our bikes and got them on the road as soon as we got home.

My soul came alive on our 1st ride. Part of the brokenness inside started to heal with each pedal stroke.

I think I'm hooked for life.

I even swallowed a few bugs because I couldn't wipe the huge open mouthed grin off my face. I was on a high long after we got off our bikes. 

For those 30 minutes I was completely worry free. When I got on the bike, I took the weight of the world off my shoulders. And when I put it back on after the ride, it felt a little lighter. I don't know if anything since treatment has been able to do that.


Very powerful stuff. To be able to be completely present in the moment. NO fears about the future. No worries about the past. Just pure joy in the actual moment I was living in.

I told Nigel he created a couple of monsters. He probably just smiled.

I'm equally nervous and excited about our first team ride. The nervous part of me worries - what if I can't keep up? Or worse, what if I let them down? My excited side can't wait to finally ride with my team. They've ridden this tough canser road with me. Now I get to ride amongst them - as an official teammate. Regardless of current ability, I promise to earn my spot. And their respect.

We decided on the Tuesday Night team ride as our first team ride together - led by Nigel. I couldn't imagine starting my riding story any other way.

Let's just hope my body is as enthusiastic about riding as my mind lol


I feel good by James Brown (YouTube)

No comments:

Post a Comment