Wednesday 20 May 2015

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow - Proverb

April 23, 2015


Those road bikes have given me a lift. It's an escape in those bad moments, where I can free myself and outrun the demons. Even if it's only for the time spent pedalling. 

There's also been the kids birthdays. I wanted to have special birthdays this year that they would remember. Something they would really enjoy. Something to shed some light in the darkness.


So I booked a splatter paint party at 4 Cats Art Studio for Emily. At an art studio...She loves art. I let her invite a few friends from school plus her usual crew of cousins, preschool buds and her BFF (or Sister) Aydan. We did separate birthdays so their younger friends like Gabe and Olivia could go to Ethan's. 

It was an absolute blast! Each kid got their own canvas and got to throw paint at it. Yes, throw...(also a good reason Ethan was the only one under 5 lol)






All the kids enjoyed it. Then they got to collaborate on a 3x6 canvas on the floor, which included popping balloons full of paint...

It was perfect. And so worth it to see Emily's look of pure joy. We go it so right this time.

She talked about it all the way home and for the next few days. Each child got their own canvas (which I picked up a few weeks later) so now we have an awesome memento and work of art. 









For Ethan's birthday we booked a tour at the Fire hall! Ok, so that worked out great for me too ha! But that was also a perfect idea. Ethan loved it and it seemed like so did all his friends. 






And probably most of his friend's moms because we got a fireman to go down the pole! That made my week...ha ha ha. We got a big picture of the whole gang so I want to get it printed (thinking 8x10) and hang it up in Ethan's room as a great reminder...and maybe a framed photo of the fireman going down the pole for my room...kidding!!













Amongst the birthdays was our first attempt at the Tuesday Night One Aim team ride (training ride) except it snowed!! So my first ride I was in a pub drinking a Guinness while 6 crazy teammates battled the elements. I'd still say that was a success...





Fish Creek



The following Friday Phil took me through Fish Creek - part of the team ride he did the night before (all 30k he did!) We went 24.5k - my longest ride ever!





Fish Creek









In some ways I couldn't believe I rode 24k...in some ways I was disappointed in myself that it wasn't the whole ride (that the team did). I guess I haven't gotten a hang of the whole "go easy" on myself yet...






Survived first 24k ride!


Chestemere




Two days later we parked at Glenmore Inn and rode out to Chestemere and back. We did 33k that day! It was awesome - "How's this considered work?" I thought...







Chestemere




Ha and then we tried round 2 of the Tuesday night Team ride. Now at least I had ridden more than 6k...but going up that first kinda steep hill in Tuscany I thought "oh this is the 'work' part they were talking about ha ha ha. Mike and Nigel led the team and Mike talked me up the hill. I don't know if it was pride, determination or Mike distracting me from my screaming legs, but I stayed on my saddle and made it up!









Phil in Red

Nigel told all of us the worst part was done. And then we came to a hill twice the size!! Not as steep and I may have cursed (Nigel) but I made it up that one too. And survived the rest of the ride. With my team. My mall Angels.








Me



It was exhilarating! Last year I watched on Facebook every Tuesday as Nigel's posted pic's showed up in my feed. I felt like part of the team from the few times I would meet them after their ride for a pint at The Last Straw Pub. But this made it official. I am a proud part of One Aim now.



It happened to be a really hard class in my breast canser recovery group that day. I also happened to run into one of the women from my class at the pub. She said afterwards that I was glowing when I first walked into the pub from my ride. It was more than just my telltale red face from physical exertion (damn fair Irish roots complexion...) I felt alive. And present. And happy.

So very, very happy.






No comments:

Post a Comment