Sunday 29 June 2014

Sandy McNabb

June 27, 2014




There really is  something about pine trees, dirt and being in the foothills with the mountains in sight. 

The last week and a half has been emotional and incredibly healing. To find myself camping in Kananaskis once again before chemo (esp. one I'm so anxious about) is probably one of the best places I could be. I was topped up with love and now I'm re-charging - getting topped up with courage and peace of mind. And it's not just nature. We are surrounded once again by good people. 

Dave has been a mutual friend of ours - (we both knew him separately, he actually introduced us) - for as long as I can remember. We lost touch for a few years and have re-connected in the last 6 months and it's been fantastic. Being around Dave reminds me of my more carefree self, when I was young, vibrant and idealistic. Back in my student days when the world was my oyster and I intended to leave my mark. He brings out those qualities in me that I had long forgotten about and that feels good. I'm more open somehow when we're with him. And laugh more. He brings back a part of my past and memories that were really great. He's one of those friends that you can go for a long time without seeing and when you get together, it's like no time has passed. Which is funny cause when I first met Dave I wasn't overly fond of him lol. But he grew on me. And now I couldn't imagine us going through this without him.

I think he was meant to come back to us now. He lost his mom to breast canser a few years ago. Sadly it was a short but devastating fight for him and his family. So he has been a champion along the sidelines of this marathon before. I feel like part of my purpose in this fight is to give hope to Dave, Kimmy & my Mom that canser can be overcome. It's not always a sad story. It sure as hell isn't going to be the end of mine.

All the people we are camping with (like 6 other families!!)  are great too. We are so lucky to always be surrounded by top notch people. The women I told part of my story to (figured was easiest way to explain the bald head) crowded around and asked all kinds of questions. No shying away by these souls!! It was a welcome relief. It freaks some people out initially into awkward silence. I couldn't answer the questions they fired at me fast enough lol. And it hasn't come up since. Accepted just like that. Awesome :)

Tonight we are having a feast. Sliders for the meat eaters, veggie dogs for me (should be...interesting...) and then shrimp, salad, veggies and rice....I remember one of the first times me and Phil went camping. All we brought were hot dogs. Like only hot dogs. For 3 days. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Trust me, it wasn't!! I don't even think we brought any breakfast food! So we have come a LONG way since then (although I don't know if veggie dogs qualify as an improvement...)

The kids are also having a blast. We saw a skunk on our first night! Like walking through our neighbours site...it was a rare time I wished I were better at math as I tried tried to calculate how far the skunk was to us and how fast we'd have to be to get to the trailer if it decided to come visit. Being sprayed by a skunk is not on my bucket list....There were moose in the site across from us before we got here on Thursday!! And bears earlier in the week...There is also a pile of kids. From under a year to teenagers. I kinda think our pack of kids are keeping the larger wildlife at bay from returning lol. Who needs bear bells when you have 10 plus kids...our 2 kids are loving every minute. The few times they aren't on their bikes they are either playing in the woods or investigating the campground. With all of us spread over 4 sites they have lots of room to (safely) roam. Even Ethan...who never stops. And has no fear. Hmmmm maybe we should rent a site for the season lol...

Walking through the campground reminds me of my childhood spent at my grandparents shack in Mascouche (Quebec). Those were some of the best summers of my life, spent with my cousins outside. It makes me happy to think that maybe our kids will think back to these days and not remember my bald head or Mommy being "sick" but reminisce instead only of campfires, biking and outdoor adventures. That is my hope anyways. Time will tell. 

Assuming we don't get eaten by bears in the meantime...


1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time you and I went camping! You packed steak! And kept offering me (the vegetarian) a bite. LOL. One of my favorite camping trips still to this day.

    It sounds like you have had a beautiful weekend. :-)

    emac

    ReplyDelete