Thursday 15 May 2014

Tea Time

May 15, 2014

Last Friday Emily had a Mother's Day tea at her preschool (Appletree.)

So the debate was on: To Go, or Not To Go. Why would I even consider not going you may ask?

Well, it happened to fall on the infamous DAY 10. This is when your immune system is likely at rock bottom, before it starts to climb back up to normal (or very close to).

In a preschool class of 22, you may see precious boys and girls all eager to learn something new and maybe make a friend or two. Right now, while on chemo, I see 22 petri dishes. Who are eager to spread germs. And maybe measles.

Phil was not comfortable with me going. But I was so torn cause Emmy is pretty sensitive and with her having to deal with the whole "mommy's sick" thing, I couldn't stand the idea of disappointing her. She had been talking about the tea for the week leading up to it.

We (my mom and Phil and a few others) debated all kinds of ideas. Appletree offered for us to come early, and they could put a table separate from the rest off to the side for just Em and I. We could then leave last so I didn't have to leave with everyone and possibly be exposed to germs that way.

Or maybe my Mom and I could go and I could just make an appearance for the "important part" and then my mom could do the rest. Make a cameo so to speak. Both these options I would wear a mask (which I also wondered how Emmy would feel if everyone was staring at me - they are kids its completely normal to be curious - but I wasn't sure if she would feel badly or not)

And then I had an idea that would give Emmy the best of both worlds, while also eliminating my risk of exposure.My Mom went with her but I was also a part of her day. Right with her. Sorta...


My Mom took Phil's phone and I had mine (in the parking lot lol) We Facetimed for the whole hour! Emmy was thrilled she had both of us and I was so happy to be able to be present at her Mother's Day tea. 

Even if I was propped up on the tea cart lol 

But I could oooh and ahhh and clap and laugh and maybe cry a bit at all the right parts.

Appletree even sent me down some iced tea down to the parking lot! It was a great use of modern technology and the school was so supportive. 

And I'm thrilled I now have a "work around" for any future events I may not be physically able to attend! And we have the pics of the "3" of us to laugh about down the road when we reminisce on this crazy time in all our lives.


It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment