Monday 14 April 2014

Another Test Bites The Dust

April 14, 2014

Today was the CT scan. It was like Andrea said - lay on a fancy moving bed - clothed yay! - that moves you through a round machine that does kind of look like a doughnut. It wasn't an MRI, so it wasn't noisy at all. 

They asked me to show up at 4 so I could spend the next 2 hours drinking what tasted like stale water...and dirt.

Phil snapped a picture:


At least I was allowed to pee! When the nurse showed up with a pink bin and four cups of this liquid I had flashbacks to having an ultrasound when I was pregnant - only then you had to hold it... and that sucked.

When I was almost done drinking the tech got me ready - had to take off anything with metal (bra - damn boobs strike again!) He even gave me a housecoat. Well, a hospital issued, extra piece of paper thing robe to keep me from shivering on the table lol

Then we went in and he got me to lay on a padded bed/table. When i was "comfy" he then informed me I had to get an IV.

In my head: HUH??? No one said anything about an IV!! Breath, breath...its just a needle - have had lots of those no problem....

He then started talking about the contrast that goes in the IV. Blah, blah side affects...nausea, heat through body, blah blah...rare....anaphylactic shock....

In my head: WHAT??? 

(If I wasn't already IV'd  up, I may have jumped off the bed and made a run for it..."start the car, start the car!!")

He managed to get my full attention with those two words. My face must have mirrored what was going through my head cause he quickly said "cause its your first time we have medicine and doctors on stand by to handle any side effects"

I don't know if that comforted or scared me, but either way I'm sure my heart rate jumped.

He left the room and this fancy machine came to life and even told me when to breath (good - otherwise I might have forgotten) And when to hold my breath, and even had a counter so I knew for how much longer.

I was pretty impressed.

Then a voice came over the speaker to tell me the contrast was going to start (in IV - they took a couple of scans without it at first)

My heart rate jumped again.

I did feel warm. And he warned me it might feel like I peed my pants but I hadn't. Thankfully he didn't leave that out cause it really felt like I peed myself! I would have been mortified had he not warned me!!

I told him pretty enthusiastically how right he was when it was all done ha .

This whole IV & scanning thing only took like 10 minutes! I was so happy to be out of there I didn't ask when the results would be in. Or maybe my Inner Ninja was asleep and I wanted to get out before she woke up and asked...

So send positive, calming vibes, good thoughts and prayers...cause I don't do well with unknown (have I mentioned that before??) so my spazzy nature is trying very hard to surface and I"m trying very hard to squash it....God help my work peeps tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.com6 December 2014 at 04:58

    Hi Cindy,

    I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of anaphylaxis on the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

    You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/anaphylaxis/effects-on-body

    Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://warriorcindo.blogspot.com/2014/04/april-14-2014-today-was-ct-scan.html

    I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of the effects of anaphylaxis to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete